Travel Log: Day One

I wasn’t sure what to blog about today. So much has been going on in Oklahoma, I thought that perhaps I should blog about the tornadoes, but then I thought that might not be the best. I feel a little over saturated with the media coverage of it. Plus, I literally live less than 1/8 of a mile from a totally devastated area. Its been rough driving around town. I figured we could all use some happy. So, you will get to see some excerpts from my travel journals from London over the next few days.


Huff the Hubs and I got back from London last Friday! We had such a blast! I have this little tradition of, whenever I go on a trip, I take a small notebook and record the events of our travels and any funny anecdotes that may happen. I did this also for our Babymoon to London. Enjoy.

Day One: Saturday, May 18th

Well evidently, we’re running on “Huffman Time” (i.e., waiting until the last minute). We got to the airport at 10:30 a.m. First mistake. There was a short line for the self-service kiosk, so we went there. Second mistake. The check-in programs for ALL international flights was down. Finally, at 10:58 a.m. we were able to get our boarding passes and get in line for security. We board at 11:11 a.m. We hadn’t eaten lunch yet. I’m pregnant. You do the math.

Of course, security took forever because of all the furloughs/sequester. And, once we finally were able to get to the x-ray machines, they pulled my carry-on for an extra look. Evidently, my can of almonds resembled an IED. Sigh.

We finished at security at 11:10. We hadn’t eaten lunch. I’m pregnant. You do the math.

Huff the Hubs ran to Schlotzky’s to get a sandwich for us to share on the plane. We assumed that since we were boarding at 11:11 and we were the last boarding group that we’d have to wait forever to board. Normally, that’s what happens. The flight attendants will come over the intercom and say they’re about to board and you normally don’t get on the plane until about 5 minutes before takeoff.

I guess the folks at United Airlines at Will Rogers Airport were more prepared than we thought. While HtH was in line for our sandwich, I went to the gate. As I’m walking to the gate I hear: “This is a page for passengers Huffman for United Airlines flight…” and I freaked out. I started running to the gate. When I got there I said: “You’ve already boarded?!” It was 11:15 a.m. Our flight wasn’t scheduled to leave until 11: 35 a.m.

The man said: “Yes and I need to shut the door; they’re about to take off.”

“But we’re waiting on sandwiches!” I wailed, trying to show my protruding belly. “My husband is back at Schlotzky’s!”

“I’ll be shutting the door in 3 minutes whether he’s here or not,” the man said.

So I called Huff the Hubs and said: “Hurry up! Just leave the sandwiches; they’re going to leave without us!”

I told him to run, forget about the $20 we spent on sandwiches, and get a move on to the gate. The flight attendant paged Bryan again and, by this time, I’m sweating from the anxiety and shaking from the low blood sugar. After about two minutes the attendant said: “I have to shut the door.”

I’m fighting back tears and say: “My husband is running to the gate; he’ll be here soon.”

The man goes to look down the hall and says: “I don’t see anyone running.”

By this time, I’m ready to punch the guy. I go stand next to him and look. Sure enough; he was right. I see Huff the Hubs, walking to the gate. {Insert frustrated growl here}.

“Hurry up!” I holler to him.

“You don’t have to be rude,” he says, handing me a bag of chips. Yeah.

I bite my tongue and hand the grumpy flight attendant my boarding pass and passport. Finally, we board. We’re the very last people on the plane. I sit down, fatigued by hunger, anxiety, and anger. Suddenly, the scene from an episode of How I Met Your Mother where Robin just finished a 3-day cleanse and never gets to eat pops into my head and I calm down a bit.

Needless to say, I inhaled the bag of chips, ripped open my explosive-resembling almonds and prayed for good food at the Houston airport.


*We did get to eat lunch at the Houston airport. Here’s a pic of Huff the Hubs, enjoying the Chinese food at the food court:


4 thoughts on “Travel Log: Day One

  1. Pingback: Travel Log: Day Two | The Huffman Post

  2. Pingback: Try It Wednesday | The Huffman Post

  3. Pingback: New Year’s Resolutions | The Huffman Post

  4. Pingback: Fan Girl Friday | The Huffman Post

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s