Mommy Monday

mommy-monday2

 

Well, Momma, we survived Thanksgiving! Now the holiday season has kicked into full gear and we’re only four days away from December. I know, I get a little {more} panicky and anxiety-ridden during this time, too.

34e054fd262b20418fb2fdf21ea41050

 

Don’t freak out! Its going to be okay. We just have to be sure to take care of ourselves even more over the next few weeks. Don’t know where to start? I have a some great tips that have helped me and a few that I’m going to try this year as well!

 

Manage Holiday Stress Header

 

Write It Down

I love writing lists. If I can write down all the things that I need to get done, with dates attached to them, it helps me to calm down because I can see that I actually have time to do them all. And if I don’t then I…

 

Ask For Help/Delegate

Repeat after me: “I do not have to do it all.” You do not have to wrap every single present yourself. You do not have to make every person in your family a handmade gift. You do not have to go shopping for every person either. You know that list you made? Cut it in half and give some of it to your husband or kids! If that doesn’t work for you, then try my next tip!

 

Just Say No

December is a crazy-busy month just with the holidays. But then throw in all the “extras”–Christmas pageants, Santa-related events, parties–and its just gets too hectic. Think about the traditions and events that are important to you and your family and then forget about the rest. If an event is going to cause you more stress and anxiety by going then DO. NOT. GO.

 

Eat Right

Some of my favorite foods come around this time of year and I am already ready to eat copious amounts of them. Having said that, something I’ve found is if I eat too many sweets I end up feeling sluggish, cranky, and have zero motivation. Mix that with the shorter amount of sunlight and its a recipe for seasonal affective disorder. A simple rule I follow when at parties and potlucks is eating what only comes around in December. For example, my mom makes amazing cookies, but she makes them at other times throughout the year and not just at Christmas so I usually skip those at the holidays. But her rum cake? She only makes that around Christmas/New Year’s so you better believe I’m digging into that! I also try to eat as healthily as I can about 80% of the time so the other 20% I can indulge. Its a great way to take care of my basic nutritional needs while also having some wiggle room.

 

Take a Vitamin

Its no secret that stress can lower your immune system, but mix that with the chilly weather and being cooped up indoors most of the day and you’ve got all the ingredients for catching a cold. Talk with your doctor about what supplements could be good for keeping your immune system in fighting shape! Around this time of year, I take a B-vitamin supplement in the mornings to help me have energy and keep the sickness away!

 

Slow Down

The hustle and bustle of the holiday season can make a person feel like they’re constantly running. When we do this, we end up feeling spread too thin, getting irritable, and we start to resemble The Grinch. Slow down. Schedule breaks. How do you like to recharge your batteries? Do you like taking bubbles baths? Maybe watching a cheesy Hallmark movie is your bag. Or maybe you feel better after talking with your bestie. Whatever it is that you do to relax, be sure you do it!

 

What about you? What are some things you do around this time of year to make sure you’re not feeling frazzled? Share in the comments below!

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s